The House on the Hill – Is the prequel to the Dwellers beneath the Arches series. It only 36 pages and free on her site. Click here.

The Dwellers is the first in the series and boy was a good read.

Oyinda Aro is a self-published Author with several other books under her belt. She British, come one what more can you ask for?

LF: How long have you been writing for?

OA: I’ve been writing on and off since the age of 8. I had a brief break in 2013 but missed it too much. I decided to go down the self publishing route in 2017 and I’m loving it.

LF: Is being an Author your full-time job?

OA: Not at the moment. Writing takes up about 70% of my time and the other 30% is spent teaching. I teach traditional crafts – traditional upholstery and leather working (so its not bad at all). But, I generally write as much as I can, which is about three hours each day.

LF: Tell us a bit about the series you have written.

OA: I’ve written 2 series so far. The first, Coats, is based on warring prefects in a British boarding school. I wrote it because there were similarities with my time at school, and I found it quite cathartic and fun. The second series I’m currently working on is The Dwellers beneath the Arches, which is based on an eighteenth century community from an enchanted world beneath London. They are searching for a missing part of their world in modern day London as they are being stalked by an unknown enemy. Keen to return back in time, they enlist the help of Asha, Jonathan and Sarah, three modern day teenagers who are facing their own challenges.

LF: Why did you go the self-publishing route vs other routes?

OA: I went the self publishing route because it allows for more experimentation, particularly if you’re not too sure what you’re doing in the beginning. I’ve had successful authors from the traditional market tell me to go via the traditional route, but I feel there are too many barriers in place. Instead, I’m able to tell stories as I want to whilst being self published.

LF: Tell us one good thing about being an Author.

OA: I think it’s the use of my imagination as new ideas and scenarios are created. Letting my mind run riot as I lay the foundations for a new story is certainly the best bit of being an author.

LF: Tell us one bad thing about being an Author. (If you can think of anything.)

OA: A life of penury (just kidding). As a self published author, it is important to realise that the road to being a successful author is a marathon, not a sprint. Some think you write a novel and suddenly hit the bestseller charts and they’re hypnotised by stories of success. That really isn’t the case. It’s a hard slog and, more importantly, you have to prove yourself worthy to your audience. Being an author is not a right; it’s attained. Oh, and the deadlines are also difficult to deal with, particularly when you’re doing other jobs.

Thank you Oyinda!